Nickelodeon Monkey Quest Game Review
Long ago the Monkey King & his five brave companions traveled the World of Ook in search of knowledge and adventure.
It was a glorious time until the evil Shadow Demon Ka emerged with his army of monsters. Ka rampaged through Ook, destroying all that was good. The Monkey King and his companions battled Ka for many years. In an epic final battle, the Monkey King summoned all of his power and shattered Ka’s black core into a million shadowy shards. Ka was gone but so was the Monkey King.
Generations have passed and now Shadows from Ka’s army are starting to seep back into the darkest reaches of the jungle. Will you be the next hero of Ook?
The premise of the game is to defeat the evil Shadows by using potions, blasters, bombs, and other Monkey weapons. Travel the trails of Ook unlocking doors to beat the bad guys, gain bananas and other online collectibles.
Mom’s Approved: Safe MMORPG for kids
Nickelodeon has ventured into the world of MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) for kids with Monkey Quest. While I don’t get MMORPG’s like World of Warcraft I understand kids like to play video games…especially my kids! While my kids could care less about the online chatting and friending of other players, I do appreciate Nickelodeon’s parental controls to help keep my kids safe from online predators.
While there will always be a risk when going online, Nickelodeon only offers two options for their online games:
- Standard Chat (default setting) – only allows pre-approved words to be used during online game chat
- Easy Chat – only permits pre-approved phrases during online game chat
This means my kid can’t accidentally give out his address, school info, or phone number to a total stranger. I realize some of the more electronically gifted minds can probably find a way around the pre-approved chat limitations but the reasonable safety measures Nickelodeon has include in their MMORPG lets me breathe a bit easier when J’s playing.
Kid Reviewed: Fun Saving the World of Ook
It’s easy for me to say the graphics looks cool and it appears to be an interesting game but I’m not the gamer Nickeldeon wants for this game so it should be interesting and probably pretty easy for me so I wanted to get a kid’s take on the game. So, after J played the game, I asked him about it. Here’s what he had to say:
The 10 year old boy likes
- killing monsters (cause who doesn’t like killing monster’s right!?!)
- being a monkey (& thinks it would be super cool if they flung poop to kill the monsters)
- getting new weapons (to kill more monsters)
- unlocking new doors (to get to other worlds to kill more monsters)
The 10 year old boy doesn’t like
- the keyboard controls, he prefers mouse controls (thankfully we have the strategy guide that has an nice large image to remind him of some of the basic controls)
- thought it was a bit complicated on level 1 (he suggested a training camp to get use to the controls and how to work the game)
- the game freezes too much (it could be his computer, our wireless connection or a million other things but he says Monkey Quest froze more than the other online games he plays but none of them are MMORPG so it could be he’s confused with downloaded games versus games played on a virtual server)
Here’s a video snippet from YouTube showcasing some live action Monkey Quest game play.
Play for FREE!!!
The basic free version of the game offers a thorough gaming experience for the kids but Nickelodeon also offers a paid version which unlocks more special abilities, opens unlimited trails, weekly bananas, crafting recipes and more collectible items. Paid membership can be done month to month with prepaid Nick Game Cards or via recurring payments. Right now Nickelodeon has partnered with Toys R Us to offer a special deal on the Nick Game Cards:
You only have until Monday (8/8) to purchase and redeem your $25 Nickelodeon Game Card from Toys R Us (US only) for one FREE month of membership, 500 bonus NC and an exclusive virtual item – valued at $15!
A $25 card normally gets you 3 months of game membership but with this deal, you get an extra month, 500 bonus Nick Cash to buy potions or other ingredients to boost your gaming offense plus an exclusive virtual item worth $15.
Its like getting $50 worth of paid online gaming gear for just $25!
But the offer expires on Monday so you must hurry and you must REDEEM the card by Monday!
Nickelodeon Monkey Quest Game Giveaway $50 Prize Pack
I haven’t done a giveaway in a long while so today is a good day since I have something to offer you guys: A $50 Nickelodeon Monkey Quest Game Prize Pack!
Prize pack includes:
- Monkey Quest tote bag (not pictured but it’s huge so it’ll be perfect hauling all the back to school gear to school on the first day!)
- Totally cool looking t-shirt
- Monkey Quest hat
- Insider’s guide to navigate the land of Ook & kill the Shadow monsters of Ka (not pictured)
Mandatory Entry: What’s your kids favorite Nickelodeon character?
- Follow me or the blog on any of my social media sites like but not limited to Facebook, FB Fan Page, Twitter, StumbleUpon (leave a comment with where you follow and your user name or a link to your user profile so I can find you!)
- Tweet or share the giveaway within your social circles. You can use any of the buttons on the top of this post or on the floating buttons to left if it’s more convenient! (Leave a link to the status update NOT just your FB profile)
- Sign up to play Monkey Quest free or paid membership (leave a comment with your player name)
Monkey Quest Game Giveaway Rules & Disclosures:
Mandatory Entry must be completed or bonus entries will be disqualified. Winner will be selected via …And the Winner Is plugin for WP. Winner will be emailed a winner’s notification message with details on how to claim their prize. Prize fulfillment is the responsibility of the sponsor not this blog. Giveaway ends Saturday 8/20 midnight CST. Winning entry will be validated prior to notifying the winner. If the rules have not been followed the entry is disqualified and a new winner will be selected.
A Nick Game Card, tote bag, and strategy guide was provided to facilitate this online game review. All opinions belong to the owner of this blog and are not influenced by compensation or free product received.